Shanghai’s container terminals and equipment yards were closed at 4pm yesterday «until further notice», according to Norman Global Logistics (NGL). Ningbo’s terminals closed on Friday, the forwarder added.
Thomas Gronen, head of Greater China at Fibs Logistics, told The Loadstar: «We haven’t had any delay notices from the shipping lines, but we need to check the individual vessel status, case by case.
«By Tuesday, we are expecting normal operations again and, generally, a two-day delay in departures.»
He added: «PVG [Shanghai Pudong Airport] also cancelled most flights from yesterday, with normal operations to be expected, again, by Tuesday.»
A representative of Dimerco said shipping schedules from Ningbo had already been under pressure from blank sailings, and now shippers faced further delays.
She explained: «Recently, vessels were delayed or cancelled frequently [from Ningbo] due to lower freight rates on South-east Asia and certain US lanes, now the typhoon may further impact vessel schedules.»
A Maersk spokeswoman told The Loadstar: «Inbound pilot services in Shanghai and Ningbo ports have been suspended and all container vessels are asked to be evacuated. Busan and Kwangyang ports are closed as well. We’re monitoring the development closely and preparing for vessel/cargo contingency plans.»
Indeed, the «massive» storm may have a greater impact on South Korea — according to reports, Typhoon Hinnamor has a radius «big enough to cover from Seoul to Busan» and could be the most powerful in the country’s history.
Itis expected to make landfall near the port city of Busan tomorrow morning, prompting flight cancellations and the suspension of some business operations.